Utilities Operations Engineer – High Voltage AP (SAP)
Location – Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary: £40,000 – £50,000 (depending on experience)
Closing Date – 22nd February 2024
As a Utilities Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for the safe operation, maintenance and contractor works activities within the bounds of your appointed Network delivery area. You will hold Authorised Person appointments and undertake work activities within your appointed area.
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle.
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training.
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services.
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution).
- Life Assurance.
- Discounts – access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending.
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family.
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing – more information available on our careers site.
- Issue and receive permits to work (e.g. – certificates of isolation, Sanction for test, limitation of access certificates, outage requests etc.) for staff and contractors as required.
- Provide leadership and direction when managing plant works by Functional / Contract resources.
- Undertake the safe operation, maintenance and management of plant under your control and in line with legislative requirements.
- Actively monitor and react to all generated alarms for the plant and systems under your control.
- To expedite notification of Plant / Network failures to the relevant Operations Manager / Network Manager and keep stakeholders informed.
- To identify underground services relevant to your role.
- To maintain training to meet compliance requirements and to maintain operational standards and readiness.
- To undertake the role of Authorised Person within boundaries of appointment for the role.
- To maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and to be a great team player.
- To undertake secondary duties as part of your role such as works supervisor and risk assessor.
- Additional accountabilities for this job profile may be defined and appointed through the Chief Engineer Management Arrangements, with appointees listed within the Company Design Authorities and Technical Authorities, as held in the company management system.
- To maintain oversight and operations within your area of responsibility.
- To have and to maintain an understanding of company strategies, policies and management arrangements.
- To undertake and to manage Authorised Persons Duties IAW relevant regulations and corporate standards.
- To deputise for the Operations Manager when requested and to act in the best interest of AWE.
- Prepare, assess, review and provide instruction against Safe Systems of Work for the Networks / Plant within boundaries of control.
- Undertake the role of Work Supervisory Officer within the boundaries of your area of control.
- Provide an input to setting annual objectives and self-monitor in readiness for regular reviews. To request a minimum of quarterly 1:1s.
- The Company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs.
- To be capable of operating main boiler plant as may be required to undertake relevant training to enable competent operations.
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates should be able to demonstrate some of the following:
- Technician Apprenticeship or ONC with suitable additional experience.
- Engineering capability across relevant networks, comprising a range of infrastructure facilities and associated plant and equipment.
- Delivery of Utilities engineering intelligence for relevant networks.
- Experience in utility / building service delivery over a large portfolio of buildings.
- Delivery of engineering services across the life of an asset.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for this role.