AWE is looking for Waste Officers.
We are looking for new staff to join our team of Waste Officers. Waste Officers are assigned facilities and projects and are the local point of contact for waste issues. Their aim is to drive down the presence of legacy or problematic wastes and ensure new arisings are dealt with swiftly. Whilst the requirement is to be involved with all wastes, you will use, or significantly develop, your knowledge in radioactive waste management for this role.
Location – Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary – £36,000 with progression opportunity as you develop in the role.
An additional allowance of up to £3,428 is also provided in this role (amount dependant on which area of our site you will be based in)
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts – access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing – more information available on our careers site
Following completion of our internal training and demonstrating suitable experience, post holders will be appointed as a Waste Officer for Radioactive, Controlled and Aqueous wastes. If you are successful in this role there is the opportunity to gain training and experience and be promoted to the next level once you meet the relevant criteria. Timescales for this would vary.
In this role, you will be involved waste minimisation, storage, and containment; and waste identification, characterisation and compliant acceptance requirements to ensure appropriate disposal by our waste operations teams.
Whilst not considered a check list, we are looking for our new Waste Officers to have –
- A basic understanding of the general principles of radioactivity and awareness of radiological instrumentation.
- Awareness of the regulatory regime for all wastes including Radioactive wastes.
- Awareness of Environmental Management Systems, audits, inspections and investigations.
- Self-confidence to challenge long established processes and activities in order to influence for change and manage waste in line with the waste hierarchy/BAT (Best available techniques).
- Good problem-solving skills, an inquisitive nature and desire to drive constant improvement.
- Good communicator both written & oral with staff and stakeholders at all levels.
- The successful applicant will have a scientific, technical, or engineering background i.e Degree, HND/C or relevant working experience.
- The ability to understand technical aspects of radioactive waste handling, processing, disposal and legislation and;
- Will be a team player with a professional approach and enthusiasm to learn and understand radioactive waste.
All candidates must be willing and able to apply for and maintain the correct security clearance for this role.